- About Us
- Image Gallery
Published on : Sunday, November 10, 2013
The Ohio School Boards Association (OSBA) Capital Conference and Trade Show returns to the SMG-managed Greater Columbus Convention Center from November 11-13 with attendees focusing on “Leadership for Learning.”
“We expect about 10,000 for the conference,” said Rob Delane, OSBA deputy director.
“There will be some newly elected school board members attending,” said Jeffery Chambers, OSBA director of communication services. “This is a very important conference for us. Our attendees are treated very well by everyone here and that’s what makes them want to come back.”
General session speakers are:
• Monday, November 11 at 10:30 a.m.: Wil Haygood, the Columbus native, Washington Post staff writer and biographer of Sammy Davis Jr., Adam Clayton Powell and Sugar Ray Robinson. Haygood’s story about White House butler Eugene Allen generated interest to create the 2013 feature film, “The Butler.”
• Tuesday, November 12 at 10:30 a.m.: Dr. Yong Zhao is the author of more than 100 articles and 30 books, focusing primarily upon the implications of globalization and technology on education.
• Wednesday, November 13 at 10:30 a.m.: John Ratzenberger, an Emmy-nominated actor, entrepreneur and philanthropist, is known for playing the Cliff Clavin character on “Cheers” and being a voice talent in every Pixar feature film. He produced and hosted the Travel Channel “Made in America” show, promoting skilled labor and the work ethic that generated growth for our country.
“He’s Pixar’s good-luck charm,” said Chambers. “His passion is promoting ‘Made in America’ and skills to kids in schools today.”
The Student Achievement Fair will be 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Tuesday, November 12 and showcase the innovative projects and programs that school districts have initiated to increase student achievement and engagement.
Special events include:
• Welcome Reception on November 10 honoring Award of Achievement recipients and others
• OSBA Black Caucus dinner November 10 at 6 p.m. featuring Ohio Rep. Kevin Boyce
• OSBA’s President’s Reception on Monday, November 11 at 5 p.m.
• OSBA Tuesday Event – Celebrating for a Cause, featuring music by The Conspiracy Band, dancing and collecting of children’s items for Children’s Hunger Alliance. Collection boxes will also be at the OSBA Bookstore, Pavilion, registration and Information Station.
“OSBA will collect new hats, scarves, gloves and mittens in all sizes for children ages 8 to 18 for Children’s Hunger Alliance at this year’s Capital Conference,” said Laurie Miller, OSBA senior events manager.
There are more than 100 educational sessions in 25 learning tracks for conference participants to attend.
The accompanying trade show is historically the nation’s largest education trade show with about 650 booths.
OSBA serves Ohio’s public school board members and the districts they represent through superior service, advocacy and creative solutions.
“OSBA’s Capital Conference and Trade Show is the second-largest education conference in the country and an annual highlight of our event calendar,” said SMG General Manager John Page.
The Greater Columbus Convention Center, located in downtown Columbus, hosted an estimated 2.5 million visitors in 2012. The facility is owned by the Franklin County Convention Facilities Authority and is managed by SMG.
Founded in 1977, SMG provides management services to more than 230 public assembly facilities including convention and exhibition centers, arenas, stadiums, theatres, performing arts centers, equestrian facilities, science centers and a variety of other venues. With facilities across the globe, SMG manages more than 14.4 million square feet of exhibition space and over 1.75 million sports and entertainment seats. As the recognized global industry leader, SMG provides venue management, sales, marketing, event booking and programming, construction and design consulting, and pre-opening services for such landmark facilities as McCormick Place & Soldier Field in Chicago, Moscone Convention Center in San Francisco, Houston’s Reliant Park and the Mercedes-Benz Superdome. SMG also offers food and beverage operations through its concessions, catering and special events division, SAVOR, currently servicing more than 100 accounts worldwide.
Source:- Columbus Convention Center