- About Us
- Image Gallery
- Download Free
Published on : Friday, December 18, 2015
VisitEngland’s Christmas Trip Tracker Survey today reveals that 13.5 million Brits (27% of the adult population) are planning an overnight holiday trip in the UK this Christmas and New Year, with 12 million people (24%) planning on taking an overnight trip in England. This is likely to generate some £2.5bn in tourism spend for the UK economy, £2.3 billion of which will be spent in England.
The Trip Tracker survey carried out on behalf of VisitEngland, the national tourist board by research agency TNS interviewed 1,219 adults aged 16+ across the country.
Key figures include:
· 27% of British adults (13.5 million) ‘definitely’ plan to take an overnight trip over Christmas and the New Year holidays and 15% are undecided. (In 2014 those definitely planning an overnight trip were 21%, suggesting more Brits are inclined to travel over the Christmas period than in 2014).
· 58% (of those definitely planning a trip in England) plan to take one trip, but just over a third (38%) are planning to take two or more
· 69% plan to visit friends and relatives this Christmas and New Year (compared to 64% in 2014)
· 28% ‘definitely’ plan to have friends / relatives over to stay
· Aside from visiting friends and family, other popular seasonal activities include going out for a meal (50%), shopping in the post-Christmas sales (42% in 2015 compared to 35% in 2014) and visiting a Christmas market (33% in 2015 vs 26% in 2014)
VisitEngland Chief Executive James Berresford said: “It is great to see that so many people are planning an overnight trip to another part of the country over the festive period. Wherever you stay in England there is always something exciting to see or do right on the doorstep, and this is never truer than at Christmas!”
Mr Berresford continues; “Whether planning a visit to Manchester’s award-winning Christmas market, ice skating at the iconic setting of Brighton’s Royal Pavilion or a trip to see the Nutcracker Trail in Plymouth, there is plenty to see and do this season.”