- About Us
- Image Gallery
Published on : Tuesday, November 26, 2013
The Minister for Tourism, Scott Bacon, today officially launched the seventh annual National Launceston to Hobart Yacht Race.
“The National Launceston to Hobart Yacht Race is an essential part of Tasmania’s sailing summer,” Mr Bacon said.
“The race is locally run by the Derwent Sailing Squadron and the Tamar Yacht Club, and gives local yachties an affordable and accessible chance to compete in an extended ocean race.
“It’s also exciting to see an iconic Tasmanian business, Tasmanian Bakeries – National Pies – coming on board as naming rights sponsor for the 2013 event.
“The Launceston to Hobart is growing in popularity each year, last year attracting a record 35 starters including four yachts from Victoria, and this year’s race is expected to be the biggest yet.
Mr Bacon said that the 2013 event will see mainland entries vying with a host of regular competitors such as Garry Smith, a member of the yachting Hall of Fame, with Fork in the Road, the 2012 line honours winner and other prominent entrants, Ian Marshall’s, Hot Prospect, Malcolm Cooper’s, Kaulani and Jeff Cordell’s, Host Plus Executive.
“The race traverses the notorious Banks Strait and Tasman Island/Storm Bay in its initial and latter stages respectively having passed inside Maria Island coming down the East Coast.
“As a stand-alone, locally run ocean and coastal yacht race, the Launceston to Hobart is a distinctly Tasmanian event.
“It adds to the vibrancy of the Hobart waterfront at a time when Tasmania becomes the national focus for lifestyle activities including the Taste, Falls Music and Arts Festival and other New Year activities,” he said.
Race organisers are expecting around 40 entries for the 2013 event.
The National Launceston to Hobart Yacht Race commences on Friday, 27 December 2013 and line-honours winners are expected to cross the finish line sometime on Sunday, 29 December 2013.
Source:- Tourism Tasmania