Published on : Monday, December 17, 2018
Recently named ’Australasia’s Leading Meetings & Conference Destination in 2018, Melbourne continues to be a top choice destination for business events.As a premier destination for delegates and event planners, Melbourne is ever-changing its offering providing an array of new reasons to host business events.
Aviation Melbourne continues to succeed in attracting international air services. Recent achievements for new and increased international airline services include:
• On 1 April 2018, Garuda Indonesia commenced a direct service between Jakarta and Melbourne, operating four times a week.
• On 3 May 2018, Singapore Airlines commenced a direct service from Wellington to Melbourne, operating four times a week with 266-seat Boeing 777-200.
• On 1 June 2018, Philippine Airlines commenced a direct service from Manila to Melbourne, operating seven times a week with Airbus A330-300 aircraft filling over 300 seats.
• On 5 June 2018, Scoot commenced a direct service from Singapore to Melbourne with Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner operating six times a week.
• On 8 June 2018, Malindo Air commenced a service from Kuala Lumpur to Melbourne via Denpasar, Bali with Boeing 737 fleet operating seven days a week.
• On 14 August 2018, Cebu Pacific commenced a thrice-weekly direct service from Manila to Melbourne with Airbus A330 type aircraft.
• On 1 September 2018, Qantas commenced a direct service from San Francisco to Melbourne operating four times a week with the airline’s Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner.
• On 5 December 2018, AirAsia X commenced a direct service from Kuala Lumpur to Melbourne.
• On 16 December 2018, Hainan Airlines will commence a new direct service from Haikou to Melbourne operating twice weekly with Airbus A330.
• On 2 January 2019, LATAM Airlines is expanding the Santiago de Chile – Melbourne service operated by Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner from three to five times a week.
• On June 2019, Air Canada Vancouver-Melbourne service will convert to year-round operating four times a week with Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner.
Avalon Airport – International Terminal
A new international terminal in the Geelong and The Bellarine region at Avalon Airport has recently opened in December. With around 9,000sqm, the infrastructure includes custom and quarantine facilities with passengers being able to fly direct from Avalon Airport to Kuala Lumpur and over 130 destinations.
New Visitor Hubs
Melbourne Town Hall & Queen Victoria Market
The City of Melbourne has opened two new visitor hubs at the historic Melbourne Town Hall on Swanston Street, and at the iconic Queen Victoria Market. The Town Hall hub offers Wi-Fi access, visitor information and activations highlighting the latest events and activities happening across the city. Melbourne’s ‘red coat’ City Ambassadors can provide visitors with tips and inside knowledge of Melbourne’s best experiences. The Queen
Victoria Market visitor hub features information and displays to celebrate the market’s heritage and promote its diverse events program along with broader city experiences.
Melbourne City Accommodation
The Savoy Hotel on Little Collins St This grand hotel at the corner of Spencer and Little Collins Street has returned to its heyday as one of the city’smost glamorous attractions, following a multi-million-dollar refurbishment. The 4-star Savoy Hotel on Little Collins, Melbourne was unveiled in October 2018, under the TFE Hotels Collection brand – a portfolio of beautiful discovery hotels with a sense of story, place and purpose. The Savoy Hotel on Little Collins has 163 guest rooms which adds to Melbourne’s accommodation capacity in the city centre. The hotel also features six spacious and flexible meeting rooms with sizes varying from small to a large ballroom catering for diverse business event’s
Novotel and Ibis Melbourne Central
Recently opened in November 2018, this 4.5-star dual-branded hotel has two hotels occupying one building in the heart of Melbourne’s city centre. Featuring 482 guestrooms, the 35th floor tower is AccorHotels fist vertical multi-hotel development where two brands share facilities. Delegates can get immersed in the famous laneway dining and shopping culture only steps away or take advantage of the free tram network connecting all corners of the city. The hotel offers three naturally lit event spaces to accommodate up to 80 delegates in different configurations.