- About Us
- Image Gallery
Published on : Friday, February 15, 2013
AMR Corporation the parent company of American Airlines, Inc., and US Airways Group, Inc.today announced that the boards of directors of both companies have unanimously approved a definitive merger agreement under which the companies will combine to create a premier global carrier, which will have an implied combined equity value of approximately $11 billion based on the price of US Airways’ stock as of February 13, 2013.
Operating under the American Airlines name, one of the most recognized brands in the world, the combined airline will have a robust global network and a strong financial foundation. The merger will offer benefits to both airlines’ customers, communities, employees, investors, and creditors. Customers will have access to more choices and increased service across the combined company’s larger worldwide network and through an enhanced oneworld® Alliance, of which American Airlines is a founding member. With firm orders for more than 600 new mainline aircraft, the combined airline will have one of the most modern and efficient fleets in the industry, and a solid foundation for continued investment in technology, products, and services.
Thomas Horton, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer of American Airlines, will serve as Chairman of the combined airline’s Board of Directors through its first annual meeting of shareholders, and will also serve as the combined airline’s representative to the oneworld Alliance, of which he is currently chairman, and International Air Transport Association for the same duration. Doug Parker, Chairman and CEO of US Airways, will serve as Chief Executive Officer and a member of the Board of Directors. Mr. Parker will assume the additional position of Chairman of the Board following the conclusion of Mr. Horton’s service. The Board of Directors will initially be made up of twelve members. The Board will be comprised of three American Airlines representatives, including Tom Horton, four US Airways representatives, including Doug Parker, and five AMR creditor representatives.
Under the terms of the merger agreement, US Airways stockholders will receive one share of common stock of the combined airline for each share of US Airways common stock then held. The aggregate number of shares of common stock of the combined airline issuable to holders of US Airways equity instruments (including stockholders, holders of convertible notes, optionees and holders of restricted stock units) will represent 28% of the diluted equity of the combined airline. The remaining 72% diluted equity ownership of the combined airline will be issuable to stakeholders of AMR and its debtor subsidiaries that filed for relief under Chapter 11 (the “Debtors”), American’s labor unions, and current AMR employees.
The merger is to be effected pursuant to a plan of reorganization (the “Plan”) for the Debtors in their currently pending cases under Chapter 11 of the United States Bankruptcy Code in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York. The Plan is subject to confirmation and consummation in accordance with the requirements of the Bankruptcy Code.
In connection with the merger agreement, AMR has entered into a support agreement with certain unsecured creditors holding approximately $1.2 billion of prepetition unsecured claims against the Debtors. Pursuant to the support agreement, the creditors party thereto have agreed, subject to certain conditions, to support a plan of reorganization implementing the merger and incorporating a compromise and settlement of certain intercreditor and intercompany claims issues. Provisions of the support agreement relating to the treatment of prepetition unsecured claims against the Debtors and the treatment of existing equity interests in AMR are summarized further below.