- About Us
- Image Gallery
Published on : Friday, April 29, 2016
Victoria Beckham has been named the best dressed celebrity traveller by British Airways, which unveiled its inaugural list of the World’s Best Dressed Travellers. With her effortless ability to turn the airport arrivals lounge into her personal fashion runway, Victoria pipped Amal Clooney to the coveted top spot.
The list has been compiled by British Airways and top Hollywood fashion stylist Elizabeth Saltzman to celebrate the relationship between flying and fashion and to honour today’s globe-trotting trendsetters, spanning the worlds of film, music and entertainment. As one of the world’s leading global premium airlines, British Airways exudes style and sophistication with every detail of its cabins designed to make customers feel special.
Elizabeth, whose clients include Gwyneth Paltrow, Uma Thurman and Academy Award-nominated Saoirse Ronan, said: “Victoria Beckham always gets it right when flying and it’s so impressive. Usually there is a menswear element to her travel wardrobe, it is chic and sophisticated but still classic and comfortable.”
Featuring some of the world’s most famous female fashion icons, the British Airways World’s Best Dressed Travellers list is a mix of inspiring celebrities who travel in style and instigate major wardrobe envy every time they step on the plane. The judges reviewed hundreds of images of the international jet setters taken at airports around the world last year to help compile the list.
The full top 10 is:
1. Victoria Beckham
2. Amal Clooney
3. Kendall Jenner
4. Angelina Jolie
5. Gwen Stefani
6. Charlize Theron
7. Taylor Swift
8. Marion Cotillard
9. Lupita Nyong’O
10. Heidi Klum
Abigail Comber, British Airways’ head of customer, said: “We’ve always been associated with travelling in style – most recently with our elegant, new short-haul cabins and our new-look First cabin, created especially for the Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft. We wanted to honour today’s style elite and those frequent flyers who embrace the enduring glamour and excitement of jumping on a plane.”
“Flying today is more accessible than ever,” added Elizabeth Saltzman. “People are more aware of themselves, whether it is their health and beauty regimes, time management or carbon footprint. The women on this list are all powerful examples of the modern world. Their style is classic with a personal twist. This is about the power of women and being able to balance it all.”
Hollywood fashion stylist and British Airways ambassador Elizabeth Saltzman started her career at Giorgio Armani in 1983. A prominent figure in the world of fashion, Elizabeth is often listed as one of the most influential industry insiders and one of the most accurate trend spotters. Here, she shares her exclusive insights on the World’s Best Dressed Travellers:
Victoria Beckham pic1. Victoria Beckham
“Victoria Beckham absolutely wants an empire and as far as I can see she is well on her way to building one. Wife, mother of four with her own brand, UN goodwill ambassador and all with lovely etiquette, warmth and effortless style.”
2. Amal Clooney
“Amal Clooney has brains, beauty and style. Amal got thrown under the style microscope when her relationship with Mr Clooney started. She wears clothes beautifully. Amal looks like she can go from the aeroplane to a meeting or into a page of Vogue and not look out of place. She is all business. Wow!”
3. Kendall Jenner
“Kendall Jenner embodies today’s youth. As a quintessential “It Girl” and major model she is representing our fashion world beautifully. She has evolved from just jeans and a t-shirt to cool, sophisticated clothing. From her professional runway to the airport runway, she knows how to work it!”
4. Angelina Joie
“Angelina Jolie (OBE), not only the mother of six, actress, filmmaker, humanitarian and wife. She is the epitome of classic style. If you had to pinpoint it, it could be that she has an “Audrey Hepburn-ish style”. A classic flat, simple sweater or top and black trouser, usually with a handbag that probably holds all her travel needs”.
5. Gwen Stefani
“As a musician, mother, actress and fashion designer let’s just be honest, Gwen Stefani’s style is the definition of cool. What is so wonderful about Gwen is that she is continuously surprising us with her individuality. There is always a variation of a black trouser or a fun detailed jacket or top, but it is her little touches that make her a style star. The red lipstick, the platinum hair sometimes mixed with another colour, the leopard print belt, the fun phone case, the nail polish. She owns her look and she wears it well.”
6. Charlize Theron
“Oscar-winning actress and mother, Charlize Theron, is chic and understated. What is so wonderful about her personal travel style is she keeps it neutral and stylish. In an airport you would take a triple take thinking, “Wow, she is so beautiful” without realising who she is at first. Her aesthetic is simple and effortless.”
7. Taylor Swift
“Mega pop star, Taylor Swift’s aeroplane looks don’t scream travel to most, however she pulls it off perfectly. Her never-ending legs and her array of fabulous handbags paired with her flirty skirts and rockin’ heels are cute and fun. She represents her brand identity without a flaw.”
8. Marion Cotillard
“Ooh La Marion Cotillard, is the most beautiful mother, actress, singer, songwriter and environmentalist – she’s the definition of French style. Marion’s effortless travel looks exude confidence and comfort. What is so terrific about Marion is nothing ever looks contrived, whether it be a leopard print cape with a blue and white striped sailor shirt, somehow she makes you want to run and buy it.”
Celebrity Sightings In Los Angeles – December 03, 2015 : News Photo9. Lupita Nyong’O
“Lupita Nyong’O is always stylish. One of the most wonderful things about Lupita Nyong’O personal style is she is not afraid to use colour. This chic portrait collared coat is set off by the pink cowl neck accessory as well as the light coloured handbag added with a finishing touch of shades and fedora makes her super stylish for travelling”.
10. Heidi Klum
“Heidi Klum is one busy woman, mother of four, model, actress, TV host, designer and always looks upbeat with a natural glow. Heidi knows how to rock a great pair of jeans and always does so brilliantly. She oozes sex appeal and knows how to make heads turn, that’s what you would expect from this supermodel.”
1. If possible I prefer a carry-on only unless you are going for more than four days. Make your outfits versatile so you can use things more than once. Plan ahead, for instance if you pack a navy blue tuxedo as an outfit to wear in the evening, you can also use the tuxedo jacket with your jeans, white shirt and flats for the day. Brooks Brother, J Crew, Saint Laurent and Tom Ford tuxedos are my favourites!
2. Travel with clean, well-moisturised skin. Everyone has their favourite products. I swear by Charlotte Tilbury Magic Cream, Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream and Shiseido Eye Mask. I love to freshen my face up during the flight with the Crème de La Mer Mist. I can’t travel without these products!
3. Water, water, water. Hydrating yourself inside as well as outside helps with jet lag and dehydration. Also, keeps hair looking glossy and your skin looking fresh.
4. Stretch! Every hour you should get up and stretch your legs and do at least 30 seconds or one minute of exercise to get your blood circulating. I always stretch my arms over my head and move my hands like I’m playing a phantom piano. Try leaning against the doorway to stretch your shoulders and to open up your chest. And for three simple options without even getting up from your seat: try a seated spinal twist; a half-forward bend; and slow neck rolls, five times in each direction.
5. Pearly whites! Nothing is more welcoming than a pretty smile. I can’t fly without toothpaste and a toothbrush. Keeping my mouth fresh and my teeth clean is a priority and certainly one that is appreciated when greeting people after a long flight. British Airways’ Club World amenity kits are great as they contain both items!
6. I like to tie my hair up on a plane. I think it gets less static and less dirty that way, and if I twist it up into a bun I can let it out when I deplane. Magic: it’s like an instant blow-dry effect. If you have to go straight to a meeting I use Frederic Fekkai Dry Shampoo to quickly freshen my hair.
7. Sunglasses are a great way to accessorise an outfit while travelling. I firmly believe in my Tom Ford glasses, as well as a solid pair of Ray Bans. It’s the ultimate jet-setter accessory.
8. Speaking of accessories… Scarves, everyone should have one in their bag while travelling. Great for warmth on the plane. They can be used as a blanket for your children or hoodie or neck warmer. I also love them during my trip to change up an outfit, it can be a sarong or an evening shawl.
9. Reset your watch and try to eat and sleep in sync with your new time zone as soon as you board. Immerse yourself in that film you’ve always wanted to see. British Airways has an exceptional catalogue of entertainment, from silver screen classics to Oscar buzz-worthy films.
10. Hats are hard to pack so choose one wisely. A fedora works in many situations, it’s great for sun protection, it’s great for styling and it’s great if you didn’t have time to style your hair before travelling. My favourite is Maison Michel.
11. Bring a bag that isn’t too big to carry and that doesn’t unbalance your shoulders. The last thing you need is a crater-sized knot in your back. As my tote, I would choose something simple and streamlined, like the Michael Kors Collection Large Leather Tote; or opt for a little whimsy with the Tory Burch Penn Applique Canvas Tote. As for a carry-on suitcase, I love the Tumi Tegra Lite Carry-On; the Victorinox Spectra 2.0 Carry-on; and both Globe-Trotter and Rimowa are firm favourites. Of course, you can never go wrong with Hermès… It was good enough for Grace Kelly.
12. Shoes! They are every woman’s guilty pleasure. Rather than packing more shoes than are necessary for your trip it is great to travel in ones that you can use more than once. If that means you are wearing a pair of heels, just remember to take them off in flight, stretch your toes, put on your circulation socks and relax. I always have a pair of Laurence Dacade sandals in my carry-on.
13. As any sports person knows layering is essential. I consider travelling a sport. Every person is different, layers are easy for travelling. You can always add one when you are cold or take one off if you get too warm. I always have a navy blue Celine cardigan in my bag when travelling.
14. A great trench by Burberry Prorsum can travel the world with you. It goes over a LBD (little black dress) or blue jeans. It is extremely versatile. For instance look at Heidi Klum and Amal Clooney’s airport looks.
15. Wear minimal jewellery when travelling and pack statement pieces. I love jewellery, so I always have a small Smythson travel case with me where I keep my accessories.
16. Invest in headphones. My favourites are Beats by Dr Dre or Bose. They allow you to get in your own headspace and really enjoy your favourite tunes.
17. Clothing is only part of looking good at the airport but feeling healthy only makes you look better. I love vitamins and vitamin boosters, Berocca is a savior as is Bee Prepared. After a long flight anything that revitalizes is great to have on hand.
18. Everyone seems to have a phone, iPad or laptop in their hand at some point while travelling. Accessorising your electronics brings your personal style to their lives. My favourite way to accessorise is with the Anya Hindmarch permanent stickers, every designer seems to have a fun phone case at the moment.
19. A quick touch up before landing. Lips, bronzer and concealer are all you need. My personal favourites are the Tom Ford bronzer, Trish McEvoy concealer and Charlotte Tilbury’s Kissing Lipstick in pale pink. Make sure you have a small bottle of your favourite fragrance too.
20. Use the time wisely. Get some rest. Use the flight as a mini-vacation. You’re away from your emails! You have the luxury of not being bothered for a few solid hours so de-stress with a colouring book for adults! Write a letter to an old friend, and just take some time to think and savour this uninterrupted sojourn.