Contrasting testimonies in Air Transat flights stranded in Ottawa

Published on : Friday, September 1, 2017

air transatThe Canadian Transportation Agency is investigating into two Air Transat flights held on the tarmac at Ottawa for hours in deplorable conditions according to passengers. The flights from Brussels and Rome were diverted on 31 July amid bad weather in Montreal and Toronto.

Passengers said they were stranded for up to six hours without adequate air conditioning, food or water. Travellers on one flight eventually rang emergency services.

The two international flights were among 20 diverted to Ottawa from Montreal and Toronto.

Air Transat said that numerous factors beyond its control, including long waits for fuel, had resulted in its inability to reduce the delay and allow passengers to disembark safely. Flight staff said food and water were running low but that refreshments were available and temperatures seemed acceptable.

Pilot Yves St-Laurent testified before the CTA panel that the tarmac delay seemed like “the lesser evil” compared to the logistics of getting passengers off the aircraft and sending them through customs, and then arranging transport and accommodation for them.

Pilots have the final say on whether to unload a plane.

He said he did not consider disembarking the aircraft as he was consistently told it would be refuelled in short order.

But travellers who gave statements or testified before the inquiry painted a very different picture, with some describing a growing frustration and panic fuelled by poor communication from airline staff.

In a statement to the panel, passengers Alan and Patricia Abraham, of Flight 507 from Rome, said they were initially told the delay in Ottawa would be just 45 minutes to refuel.
The plane ended up held for five hours.

The couple said they were stranded in the stuffy plane, were given a small meal and only once offered a small glass of water.

“The bathroom had run out of toilet paper. One young boy became nauseous and was trying to make his way to the bathroom when he vomited in the aisle and all over several passengers two rows behind us,” they said. “The stench was unbearable.”

In another instance, people on board Flight 157 from Brussels to Montreal were experiencing similar conditions to Flight 507. They ended up being stranded for six hours.
At one point passengers chanted “open the door, open the door” to cabin crew. The cabin temperature reached more than 31C (87F).

Pilot Denis Lussier also said he was told his plane would be quickly refuelled.

He added that his flight was short on fuel when it landed and that the air conditioning was cut off when the power shut off.

Passengers eventually rang the emergency services to complain of the heat and inability to disembark, and emergency responders came to their assistance and handed out water.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

arrow2Follow TTW
facebook-logo  twitter-logo  LinkedIn_logo  stumbleupon-logo   rss_logo 
ttw_blogger_logo  ttw_blogger_logo  ttw_blogger_logo


  • 06 THSA 2018
  • 07 miltcongress 2018
  • 09 APHIC 18
  • 10 Digital Travel Summit EU 2018
  • 10 ITE 2018
  • 11 questexevents 18
  • 12 aviationdevelop 2018
  • 12 Traveldaily 18
  • 30 PATA


Get our toolbar!
Review on