- About Us
- Image Gallery
- Download Free
Published on : Tuesday, October 18, 2016
Andreas Stylianopoulos, the representative of SETE said that the decline in the cruise tourism sector is an irreversible process.
Stylianopoulos is also the CEO and president of the Navigator company as well as the international representative of Royal Caribbean cruise company. The cruise ship itineraries for 2017 would be altered to a great extent. For instance, the Eastern Mediterranean locales would be cut down to south Dodecanese islands, Crete, Cyclades islands, Saronic Gulf and the Piraeus. Also, many of the historical and cultural destinations would be excluded from the cruise ship itineraries for the year 2017.
Stylianopoulos stated that he had been a part of the Seatrade Cruise Med conference and he had been a speaker at this event.
Besides, he was also a speaker a certain workshop of the Cruise Lines International Association or CLIA that was conducted in Tenerife. He also said that the fact that the number of cruise visitors had increased in 2016 was simply a coincidence. This was because of the complications that had developed in Turkey following the military coup attempt that had caused services to be diverted to Greece.
But then, this would probably be a problem for the next year.
This is because a majority of the Turkish destinations have been called off. And, many of the destinations in Greece were transfer points to Turkey, this has resulted in the cancellation of several Greek destinations as well.
This would adversely impact catering services, shops, hotels and trade in the Greek ports. Consequently, the public revenue would incur heavy losses.