- About Us
- Image Gallery
Published on : Monday, August 8, 2016
All public beaches along the Russian River in California is facing a danger after a small amount of a deadly algae toxin was found in the water. Media reports have revealed that, health officials of California have posted warnings along the beaches of the river.
The Russian River is a popular tourist destination in Sonoma County, surrounded by ancient redwoods. The place is famous for kayaking, canoeing and swimming.
Water tests performed on Thursday found the blue-green algae toxin called anatoxin at four public beaches along the Russian River. Officials have warned the people to keep their pets and children away from the algae in the river.
A news site revealed that, last year a dog had died after ingesting water from the same river.
Sonoma County deputy public health officer Karen Holbrook told the media that, the levels of anatoxin found Thursday were only about 1 percent of the amount measured in the river when the dog died last year. She also said the trace amount could still be dangerous.
Holbrook also commented that, they are trying to keep people educated and informed so they can make the best decisions possible for themselves, their children and their pets.
The toxin can cause muscle tremors and, in severe cases, lead to seizures and death.
The toxin is a natural byproduct of the algae that tends to grow in warm water during drought.