- About Us
- Image Gallery
Published on : Wednesday, November 6, 2013
Regency administration spokesperson Jhonson Tarigan said the period was effective from this week for an indefinite period, or until the Center for Volcanology and Geological Hazard Mitigation (PVMBG) recommended otherwise.
The volcano has been placed on alert status as it is continuously spewing volcanic ash.
The latest eruption took place on Tuesday at around 2:30 p.m. local time when the volcano sent a plume of smoke 3-kilometers into the air, while the spread of ash was around 10 km to the southwest.
Jhonson said the eruption was strong as it lasted around 20 minutes and was heard at tourist resort Berastagi, which is located around 15 km from the volcano and 60 km from Medan.
No casualties were reported in the eruption. Jhonson said at least 1,700 people from four subdistricts of Simacem, Bekerah, Mardinding and Suka Meriah had been evacuated due to the eruptions, as their homes were very close to the volcano’s crater.
“Areas within a 3-km radius of Sinabung’s crater have to be cleared, that’s why people must evacuate,” he said.
The evacuees were placed in three evacuation centers in Payung, Tiga Nderket and Naman Teran districts under the responsibility of the respective district heads.
Romel Karo-Karo, a local community figure, said most of the evacuees were traumatized by the eruptions.
“They are very traumatized, especially when eruptions happen at night when they cannot see the volcano, but can suddenly feel the ash covering their villages,” Romel said as he was evacuating people in Naman Teran on Tuesday.
The two eruptions on Monday night, for example, terrified nearby residents as they also sounded very loud.
“The second eruption at about 9:30 p.m. brought with it searing material,” said Romel, adding that the first eruption on Monday lasted about eight minutes while the second one lasted about five minutes.
PVMBG head Hendrasto said on Tuesday the alert status of Mt. Sinabung was maintained as its eruptions continued.