- About Us
- Image Gallery
- Download Free
Published on : Wednesday, January 13, 2016
The Egencia/Expedia Mobile Behavior Mobile Index, a global study of mobile-device-related behavior and preferences among travelers conducted across multiple countries and continents was launched today. The survey highlights that India (80%) leads in checking in with work followed by Thailand (74%) and Mexico (65%). 20% Indian spouse or travel partners said that they were most annoyed with partners who check in with work during a vacation.
Business travelers use mobile devices to remain tightly connected to their home office. Mobile devices are the top resource for navigation, for photo-taking and for staying connected to loved ones. The three countries that place the highest premium on mobile devices as a travel companion are China (where 94% of respondents ranked it #1), Taiwan (also 94%) and Thailand (91%).
“In India, constant connectivity is a priority when mobile devices are carried in hand from work to home and now on vacation too. When we’re more efficient and productive using mobile devices and apps that provide a seamless experience, the quality of our vacation is improved and the work/life balance can be prioritized.” said Amit Arora, Country Director of Egencia India.”
“The dependency on smartphone and gadgets have increased over a span of time and it is very well reflected in traveler behavior. According to our Egencia/Expedia Mobile Behavior Report, 56% Indian travelers are addicted to their mobile devices, while 36% Indians carry a rechargeable pack/case/portable charger/spare battery to use as a backup when travelling. We understand the importance of being present on a mobile platform and were one of the first OTAs in India to launch a booking app, which now also facilitates travel at various check points of the journey. No wonder Indiansrank #1 globally in considering mobile device an important travel companion”,said Mr. Manmeet Ahluwalia, Marketing Head, Expedia India.
DETAILED SURVEY FINDINGS:
What’s most essential?
• Smartphones: 82% | Toothbrush: 48%
• India leads globally with 9% of people who consider condoms to be the most essential item while travelling for leisure
• Indians consider the following as an essential item which can cause anxiety if lost while travelling:
o Mobile (35%) | Wallet (50%) | Luggage (15%)
Keeping the Mobile alive: Key priority!
• 36% Indians already have a rechargeable pack/case/portable charger/spare battery that they take along to use as a backup while travelling
• 26% Indians keep a power cord with themselves at all times and would search for the nearest available outlet to recharge ASAP
How about Wi-Fi?
• 74% of Indians seek free Wi-Fi in café or restaurant like Starbucks, McDonalds etc.
• Purchase of inflight Wi-Fi
o Business Trip: 46% | Leisure Trip: 35%
Mobiles are the best companions!
• India leads globally in considering/thinking:
o Mobile device an important travel companion (36%)
o Mobile devices and apps improve their quality of vacation (29%)
o Use their mobile device more at vacations than at home (20%)
Can’t Live Without Apps!!
• Most used apps during Leisure Travel
o Maps and navigation apps (53%)
o Social media apps (52%)
o Email or messaging apps (43%)
o India leads globally with 5% of people using fitness or weight loss apps
• Most used apps during Business Travel
o Email and messaging apps (66%)
o Social media apps (34%)
o India leads globally with 23% of people using readings apps
Oh this is Offensive!!!
• Highest ranked inappropriate behavior by fellow travellers:
o Making/taking calls on speakerphone (56%)
o Take photos/videos of unknown people (54%)
• Indians find the following behavior of fellow travelers most offensive/inappropriate globally:
o Photographing food during a meal (37%)
o Attaching a fitness tracker visibly to an undergarment (33%)
o Usage of location based dating apps (26%)
o Taking photos using a tablet device (23%)
Log in on vacation? Yes please.
• 29% of the Indians check mails, texts or voicemails by clients/colleagues for 30 minutes daily
• India leads globally with 80% people checking in on work at least once daily
• India leads globally with 13% people checking on work for more than 1 hour daily
• India ranks at the bottom, with only 1% saying that their job is not the type of work where they are expected to check-in while on vacation
• 54% of Indians do not react on their spouse or travel partner even if they check in on work during vacations
The study was conducted on behalf of Expedia by Northstar, a globally integrated strategic insights consulting firm. The survey was conducted online from November 3 to 20 November, 2015 across North America, Europe, South America and Asia Pacific using the Kantar-owned GMI (Global Market Insite) and Lightspeed Research amalgamated group of panels. The study was conducted among 9642 adults aged 18 years of age and older who own at least one mobile device across 19 countries.