- About Us
- Image Gallery
Published on : Wednesday, June 29, 2016
If a burger fuels your happy place, you might want to plan a New Zealand visit this August during the capital’s annual food festival – Visa Wellington On a Plate™ – on a 17-day burger trail with 116 burgers to trial.
That’s seven options per day, and not one like another, to test your appetite’s limits.
Eat, Drink & Be Welly will be the eighth edition of Visa WOAP!, a toast to the taste buds inspired by a creative community that comes together to celebrate their own culinary innovation – from fine dining to burgers and craft beer.
One of the most popular features on the packed menu of events and dining out opportunities, Burger Wellington 2015 winner of Burger Wellington was Wellington restaurant Egmont St Eatery’s Primestar aged beef patty with smoked beetroot relish, fried pickled onions and housemade Jack cheese blend in a fresh steamed bun.
To help with consumption there are three unique festival brews from Garage Project to match with the burgers. To titillate your taste buds, here’s a preview sample of what’s on offer and where to find them. Prices range from NZ$15 – $25.
• Grill Meats Beer, 227 Cuba St: Lamb Shank Redemption – spiced Wairarapa lamb patty with braised shank, Cuba Fruit Mart beetroot, baby kale, roasted pumpkin, Kingsmeade Castlepoint feta, and pine nut aioli, on a Pandoro bun. Beer match = Garage Project Persephone.
• Foxglove Bar & Kitchen, Queens Wharf: The Wellington Wild Thing – Venison and smoked paprika patty with Kingsmeade Wairarapa Jack cheddar, and fig and rosemary chutney on a Clareville Bakery pretzel bun with handcut fries.
• Dragonfly, 70 Courtenay Place: Canton Burger – Cantonese Char Siu flavoured pork patty with ginger, garlic and ground bean barbeque sauce on a Pandoro sesame bun with glutinous rice chips and kimchi dip. Beer match = Garage Project Lola.
• Charley Noble, 1 Post Office Sq: Charley’s Trap – Wagyu beef patty with trashcan gypsy-smoked Preston’s bacon, chimichurri, Ontrays gruyere, truffled mayonnaise, cucumber pickle and salad.
• Beat Kitchen gourmet food truck: Major Tom – 15-hour pohutukawa smoked brisket with pickled cabbage salad, Beat Kitchen barbeque sauce and a pickle in a Clareville Bakery cornbread brioche bun.
• Beach Babylon, 232 Oriental Pde: No Smoke Without Fire – Chargrilled Angus beef patty with Kapiti Pakari aged cheddar and jalapeno fondue, Harrington’s bacon, Huffman’s Crafty Sauches chilli jam and habanero mustard with handcut chips. Beer match = Garage Project Hakituri.