Published on : Saturday, August 12, 2017
Guam officials want to dispel fears of any missile attack by promoting the island’s idyllic scenery and secluded beaches.
Josh Tyquiengco of the Guam Visitors Bureau said, “The circumstances are unfortunate but this is a good opportunity for us to educate the world about Guam and our culture, about where we are, and who we are. Guam is more than a military base. We are a safe family destination. We reassure potential visitors that we continue to be a safe … place to visit.”
Guam is the 32nd-largest American island, but caught in the escalating war of words between Kim and President Trump. Suddenly, the world is taking notice of the island that houses two US military installations and 6,000 US troops. However, fears of a potential attack have not driven tourists away.
Tyquiengco said, “We heard about a few booking cancellations from South Korea, but it’s too minimal to affect the industry.” Gov. Eddie Calvo said that any attack on Guam “would be met with overwhelming force,” pointing out that the biggest threat facing the island was the looming typhoon season.
Guam is also equipped with the state-of-the-art THAAD weapons system, which is capable of destroying intermediate-range missiles mid-flight. But so far, there has been no change in the threat level.
“I don’t think there’s anything to worry about. No missile is going to land on Guam,” said Carl Peterson, who serves on the Guam Chamber of Commerce’s armed forces committee. We’ve got defense mechanisms in place … they have the ability to seek out the missiles with kinetic energy and destroy it.”