Published on : Tuesday, January 17, 2017
The hunt for Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 has ended in frustration and futility after three years. The crews completed their deep-sea search of a desolate stretch of the Indian Ocean without finding a trace of the plane.
The Joint Agency Coordination Center in Australia, which helped lead the $160 million hunt for the Boeing 777 in remote waters west of Australia, said the search had officially been suspended after crews finished their fruitless sweep of the 120,000 square kilometre (46,000 square mile) search zone.
The agency said in a statement that despite every effort using the best science available, cutting-edge technology, as well as modelling and advice from highly skilled professionals who are the best in their field, unfortunately, the search has not been able to locate the aircraft. They continued that accordingly, the underwater search for MH370 has been suspended and the decision to suspend the underwater search has not been taken lightly nor without sadness.
As per the latest analysis, officials investigating the plane’s disappearance have recommended search crews to head to the north to a new area identified in a recent analysis as a possible crash site. However, the Australian government has already nixed that idea.
In the absence of solid leads, investigators relied largely on an analysis of transmissions between the plane and a satellite to narrow down where in the world the jet ended up – a technique never previously used to find an aircraft.
Since no technology currently exists that can tell investigators exactly where the plane is, that effectively means the most expensive, complex search in aviation history is over. The world’s greatest aviation mystery may never be solved and families of the 239 people on the doomed aircraft have to end their hope as the search mission ends.
The ministers wrote that they remain hopeful that new information will come to light and that at some point in the future the aircraft will be located