Increase in Passenger Volume Points Toward a Busy Travel Season for John Wayne Airport
Published on : Friday, May 27, 2016
With passenger volume trending 10% higher than last year, John Wayne Airport (JWA) is heading toward another year of record volume, and a busy summer travel season. High passenger volume during peak travel periods increases demand for Airport parking, and may mean longer lines for security screening.
Airport parking structures have reached capacity several times this year, and this trend will likely occur again during peak travel periods. Travelers should plan ahead and call 949-252-5200 for parking availability. When terminal parking structures are at capacity, Airport guests can utilize curbside Valet Parking or the Main Street Parking Lot with free shuttle to the Riley Terminal.
Memorial Day weekend marks the beginning of the summer travel season and is traditionally one of the busiest travel periods of the year. JWA expects Airport traffic to be heaviest on Thursday and Friday (May 26-27) and Tuesday (May 31). In 2015, over 166,836 passengers traveled through JWA between the Thursday before and the Tuesdayafter Memorial Day.
To avoid delays and enjoy stress-free holiday travel, passengers are encouraged to follow these helpful travel tips.
Travel Tips for Passengers and Visitors:
- All passengers flying out of JWA are encouraged to arrive 90 minutes to two hours before the scheduled departure time for domestic flights and three hours for international flights to find parking, check luggage and go through the security screening checkpoint. Passengers who are members of TSA Pre✓™ can expedite the screening process in Terminals A, B and C.
- Passengers are allowed one small carry-on bag plus one personal item as long as the carry-on bag fits airline dimensions. Check with individual airlines for specifics. For helpful information about the 3-1-1 liquids rule for carry-on bags and other travel tips from the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) please visit the TSA website.
- Drivers picking up passengers at the Airport are encouraged to utilize the Cell Phone Waiting Lot or the 2-hour parking spaces located on the lower level of Parking Structures A1, B2 and C.
Parking at JWA:
- Curbside Valet Parking for $30 per day, located on the Departure (upper) Level between Terminals A and B, or in front of Terminal C.
- Parking Structures A1, A2, B2 and C are located adjacent to and directly across from the Riley Terminal at a rate of $2 per hour and $20 per day, with the first 15 minutes being free for those dropping off and picking up passengers. Access to terminal parking structures is available from the Departure (upper) Level only.
- Off-site Main Street Parking Lot located at 1512 Main St., Irvine, for $14 per day with free shuttle service to/from the Riley Terminal every 15 minutes.
Tips from TSA and CBP:
- Review Transportation Security Administration’s (TSA) Traveler Information for a list of prohibited items and the 3-1-1 rule for liquids in carry-ons.
- There are specific rules and exceptions for passengers traveling with infant care items. Please visit TSA tips for traveling with children for more information.
- International travelers should check the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP)website to ensure they have appropriate documentation for traveling to and from the United States. Note: Passengers who are members of the Global Entry Trusted Traveler Program can expedite their Customs clearance into the U.S. at John Wayne Airport. Those passengers traveling to and from Vancouver, Canada, will clear Customs in Canada before entering the United States.
Tags: John Wayne Airport