- About Us
- Image Gallery
- Download Free
Published on : Tuesday, January 5, 2016
The Ministry of Tourism, is the nodal agency for the formulation of national policies and programmes and for the co-ordination of activities of various Central Government Agencies, State Governments/UTs and the Private Sector for the development and promotion of tourism in the country. This Ministry is headed by the Union Minister of State for Tourism .
The administrative head of the Ministry is the Secretary (Tourism) who also acts as the Director General (DG) Tourism. The office of the Director General of Tourism provides executive directions for the implementation of various policies and programmes. It has a field formation of 20 offices within the country and 14 offices abroad and one sub-ordinate office/project i.e. Indian Institute of Skiing and Mountaineering (IISM)/ Gulmarg Winter Sports Project. The overseas offices are primarily responsible for tourism promotion and marketing in their respective areas and the field offices in India are responsible for providing information service to tourists and to monitor the progress of field projects. The Ministry of Tourism has under its charge a public sector undertaking, the India Tourism Development Corporation (ITDC) and Indian Institute of Tourism and Travel Management (IITTM) and National Institute of Water Sports (NIWS) ; and National Council for Hotel Management and Catering Technology (NCHMCT) and the Institutes of Hotel Management.
INDIA’S POSITION IN TOURISM AND TRAVEL COMPETITIVE INDEX:
· India moves 13 position ahead from 65th to 52nd rank in Tourism and Travel Competitive Index as per the World Economic Forum (Davos) Report.
ACCOLADES FOR INDIA TOURISM
· At ITB 2015 held in Berlin in March, 2015, the Indian Pavilion set up by the Ministry of Tourism won the 2nd place for the Best Stand in the Asia, Australia and Oceania category.
· Ministry of Tourism participated At WTM (World Travel Market) held from 2nd to 5th November, 2015 in London. The theme of the India Pavilion was Yoga. A live Yoga demonstration was organized at the India pavilion during all 4 days of WTM, 2015. The WTM, London was one of the largest attended travel show. At WTM, London, India was voted as Most Preferred Destination in Asia.
· At the World Travel Market (WTM) Africa 2015 held in Cape Town, South Africa in April 2015, the India Tourism Stand of the Ministry received the ‘Best Feature Award’ from M/s Reed Travel Expo (organizers of the event).
· India participated as the ‘Guest Country of Honour’ at the China International Tourism Mart (CITM) held in Kunming, China in November 2015. India Tourism won 3 awards at CITM 2015, i.e. Award for Best Booth Design, Award for Best Organization and Award for Best Innovation of Sales.
· India tourism Tokyo participated in Busan International Travel Fair 2015 in BUSAN, KOREA. India Pavilion received two AWARDS, i.e. “The Best Booth design Award” and “The Best folklore performance award” for organizing promotional activities during this show.