Published on : Wednesday, November 29, 2017
The Indonesian Coordinating Minister for Maritime Affairs Luhut Binsar Pandjaitan led an emergency Coordination Meeting on Mount Agung eruption in Indonesia on November 28th, 2017 in order to oversee the devastation and the condition of the local people and the tourists, who visited Bali at that time .
The minister was accompanied by Tourism Minister Arief Yahya with several figures such as Transportation Minister Budi Karya Sumadi, the head of National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB), representatives of Directorate General of Immigration and TNI Chief of General Staff.
From the EOC room of Ngurah Rai International Airport in Bali there were Bali Governor Made Mangku Pastika, AP1 Bali – Lombok and The National Search and Rescue Agency (Basarnas), among others.
The Bali Governor Mangku said the volcanic ash from Mount Agung has reached 4,000 meters and headed to the southwest.
Bali Governor Mangku added that the news about Mount Agung spewing out rocks were untrue and 40,000 residents of the villages of Kubu and Rendang have been evacuated.
Currently there are around 70,000 evacuatees who need 25 tons of rice and Rp 700 million (US$51,800) every day.
Other supplies that the local people and the tourists are needed include water facilities, sembako (staple foods), blankets, beds, medicines and daily needs include bathing/washing/toilet centers. There are around sixty units of buses are also needed for a week to carry people who want to go to Surabaya and Jakarta. He also needs boats at the ready in Benoa Port.
There are about twenty-three buses have left Bali for Surabaya on November 28. Karangasem Regional Military Command (Dandim) will serve as the commander for emergency response. Meanwhile, the airport will be evaluated every six hours. The Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics Agency (BMKG) issued an early warning of tropical cyclone that affected the wind direction and the direction of the volcanic ash. For the next three days, the rainfall of Bali is expected to increase. Meanwhile, Basarnas operational director said they will send more people from Surabaya, Semarang, Bandung and Mataram. Basarnas has so far evacuated 53 people who refused to leave their homes. Tourism Minister Arief has asked all the airline companies to excuse the passengers from cancellation fee. He appreciated the hotels and resorts that gave free stays for the first day and 50 percent off on the next day. Tourism Minister Arief asked the immigration bureau to take care of visa extension for foreign tourists.For transportation, tourism minister Arief has asked the Transportation Ministry to be in charge of tourists by providing more buses and other forms of transportation.