- About Us
- Image Gallery
Published on : Monday, June 19, 2017
The security minister of Mali has declared that gunmen had stormed into a popular tourist resort that is favored with Westerners leaving two people dead. The media has been notified that it is a jihadist attack. The special forces of Mali have intervened and released the hostages.
Currently, two people are reportedly dead including a Franco-Gabonese.
The attack took place at a luxury resort Le Campement Kangaba that is located on the eastern part of the capital Bamako. The minister has said that four assailants have been killed by security forces. Salif Traore, the security minister of the nation has announced that they have been capable of recovering two of the bodies of the attackers who were killed in the attack.
He went on to add that the security forces are now searching for the bodies of the two other attackers.
One of them has left behind a machine gun and bottles filled with ‘explosive substances’. The ministry said that another two people have been injured including a civilian. A security ministry spokesman told the media that 32 guests had been rescued from the tourist resort.
Thereafter, Malian special forces had to intervene, backed by UN soldiers and also troops from a French counter-terrorism force.
Boubacar Sangare is one of the witnesses who was outside the resort compound when the attack was unfolded. He said that he caught sight of Westerners fleeing the encampment while two policemen in plainclothes exchanged fire with the assailants. He mentioned that four national police vehicles and French soldiers in armored vehicles were present on the scene.
He also said that a helicopter had been circling overhead.
The European Union training mission in Mali, EUTMMALI tweeted that it was knowledgeable about the attack and was supporting Malian security forces and assessing the situation. Earlier this month, the US embassy in Bamako had warned of ‘possible future attacks on Western diplomatic missions’ and added that the other locations in Bamako that is frequented by Westerners.
For many years, Mali has been battling against a jihadist insurgency and Islamic fighters have been roaming the north and central portions of the landlocked nation.
In November 2015, at least 20 people were dead when gunmen took guests and staff hostage at the Radisson Blue hotel in Bamako. Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) that is the North-African arm of Al-Qaeda said that it was instrumental behind the siege.
The government of Australia has added that it would be wise for the citizens to avoid public transport given the prevailing security ambiance of the environment.
Road travel would be considered only if sufficient security precautions are employed. Driving at night is also a dangerous idea since most of the roads are in a critical condition. Global Affairs Canada has the most comprehensive warning that mentions that Northern Mali continues to be a safe haven for terrorist groups. And, since the year 2015, the terrorism threat has spread to the rest of the nation.