Published on : Friday, January 5, 2018
The Jordan tourism sector is expected to continue recovering during this year, according to the stakeholders, who urged the concerned bodies for putting on more efforts to promote the Kingdom in a better way and open new markets.
The Jordan Tourism Board (JTB) Director Abed Al Razzaq Arabiyat said that 2017 witnessed a “considerable” increase in the number of tourists according to the Central Bank of Jordan’s figures.
Arabiyat said that revenues from tourism during November 2017 increased by 14.3 per cent compared with the same period of 2016. The JTB also supported the plans for stimulating the charter and low-cost flights including supporting the prices of tickets.
This year, trip bookings to Jordan look “promising”, with fewer cancellations compared with previous years. The worst year for the Jordanian tourism sector was 2011, during which the “Arab Spring” began, while the best so far was 2017.
More efforts need to be given to attract more visitors, especially from far eastern countries. The country’s Tourism Minister Lina Annab said that tourism figures in 2017 were higher than expected, adding that that the figures are expected to increase this year. In 2017, the number of overnight tourists until the end of November increased by 9.5 per cent, reaching 3.911 million visitors, compared to 3.574 million during the same period last year.
Tags: Jordan tourism