Published on : Wednesday, February 22, 2017
London Underground passengers suffered severe delays because of a strike in a row over staffing caused by the new Southern Railway walkout. Members of the Rail, Maritime and Transport union on parts of the Tube network and Southern staged a twenty-four hour walkout to support the cause.
Picket lines were mounted outside rail and Tube stations on Wednesday morning, as Transport for London warned of delays and disruption. Adding to it was Southern Railway walkout which also caused disruption.
Meanwhile, the Southern strike was the 29th since a bitter dispute about staffing and the role of conductors broke out last year. And the company said that they have planned to run three quarters of services.
Operations director for the Central line, Peter McNaught apologised to customers for the disruption that this unnecessary strike is causing. The action halted the Waterloo and City line and affected the Central line. He also said that they have made all reasonable efforts to resolve this dispute through talking through the issues with the unions. To give respite to the over staffing, they have minimised the number of employees affected from over 30 to eight.
Mick Cash, RMT general secretary, said the union had made “strenuous efforts” to resolve the Tube dispute, adding: “The action is rock solid today with the impact severe and widespread, and the blame for that lies firmly at the door of an intransigent LU management that refuses to see sense.
A Transport for London spokesman urged the RMT leadership to work with them constructively on the issues it has raised rather than threaten unnecessary industrial action.