Published on : Tuesday, May 9, 2017
The Maldives is aiming to attract at least 1 million Chinese tourists per year in the coming five years through the China-proposed Belt and Road Initiative, in a bid to further strengthen its tourism market.
Tourism Minister Moosa Zameer said that the close cooperation between China and the Maldives had been further strengthened because of the Belt and Road Initiative and through this initiative they now expect more Chinese investors and tourists.
Because of the initiative, there are many Chinese businesses coming in, mainly into tourism, Zameer said.
Proposed by China in 2013, the Belt and Road Initiative (also known as One
Belt One Road initiative) refers to the Silk Road Economic Belt and the 21st Century Maritime Silk Road, aiming at building a trade and infrastructure network connecting Asia with Europe and Africa along the ancient trade routes of Silk Road.
Commending the Belt and Road Initiative, Zameer said that it would strengthen the Maldives’ economy.
The Maldives has invited more Chinese airlines to land in the island country as China has been one of its strongest markets with the most number of tourist arrivals, and the government now wants to expand the market further.
The Maldives attracted its highest number of Chinese tourists during the Chinese Lunar New Year and Zameer said they were hoping the figures would only increase.
While last year recorded a drop in Chinese tourists to the island country, the Maldives is now planning on launching a more aggressive tourism campaigning across many cities in China so that the numbers would rise.