- About Us
- Image Gallery
Published on : Monday, May 2, 2016
The 15th edition of the Malta International Fireworks Festival organised jointly by the Ministry for Tourism and the Malta Tourism Authority came to a spectacular end last night with an expanded fireworks display by Pyroemotions of Italy in collaboration with the winners of last year’s edition Lourdes Fireworks Factory Qrendi of Malta in the magical setting of the Grand Harbour, Valletta.
This year’s festival also included the Pyro Musical competition held in the picturesque fishing village of Marsaxlokk and for the first time ever in the island of Gozo. A number of Maltese and foreign fireworks factories participated during this competitive event, presenting spectacular pyrotechnic displays synchronised to music.
The winner of this year’s edition is the St Mary Fireworks Factory of Għaxaq followed by the first runner-up, won by St George’s Fireworks Factory of Qormi’s while an international competitor from Denmark, Hojen and Magic Fyrvaerkeri Aps placed second runner-ups.
Minister for Tourism Dr Edward Zammit Lewis stated that he was very impressed by the standard of the festival and explained that this festival presented a unique opportunity for people to enjoy Maltese villages and cities in a truly remarkable setting. Furthermore, he emphasized that the country is well known for its cultural heritage and traditions and that we should be truly proud of these traditions and show fireworks off as an integral part of that.
“The festival will further enhance Malta’s image as a diverse destination, making Malta’s already rich calendar of events even more appealing and attractive. It is these sort of events which continue to make the Maltese islands a more attractive tourism destination and which play an important part in assisting the tourism industry achieve the excellent results it has been attaining,” said Dr Edward Zammit Lewis.
The Minister for Tourism finally reminded that the festival was a part of celebrations commemorating Malta’s accession into the EU on the 1st of May 2004.
The MTA CEO, Mr Paul Bugeja said “We are extremely happy with how the festival turned out. Our sincere thanks go to all the participants, the judges, and those who worked so hard to make this event an all-round success, including MTA’s dedicated team. I would like to congratulate the winner on a truly splendid display.” Mr Bugeja concluded by saying that “Events such as the Malta International Fireworks Festival is a highlight in the Maltese annual events calendar, and helps to attract tourists to the Maltese Islands in the quieter shoulder months of the year.”