Merida experiences a record year 2017 in tourism

Published on : Friday, December 1, 2017

MeridaThe arrival of visitors in Merida in 2017 has been “historic” and it is anticipated to close the year with around 1.4 million visitors which estimate a growth of 16% in comparison to the last year.

 
The city’s Director of Tourism and Economic Promotion, Carolina Cárdenas Sosa, reported that because of different activities which have been conducted in the framework of the appointment of Merida American Capital of Culture, the visitor number has been up in comparison to last year, when tourism increased by two percent.

 
“Each year we close with one million 250 thousand tourists but this year it is expected to close with one million 400 thousand, so we have a 16% growth, considering a huge percentage compared to the previous year,” he explained.

 
In Mérida, between 2015 and 2016, there were almost 10,170 visitors and in 2017 till September there were 136,000, out of which 80% was contributed by national tourism and the other 20% are international tourists.

 
He said that the growth was due to the extensive dissemination of Merida as the American Capital of Culture, so “everybody is hearing about this city more than other years.” Also, he highlighted that 2018 promise positive in terms of various events that will be organized for the celebration of the 476 years of the discovering of Mérida, in addition to the Filux Festival of the Lights, which will be held from 4th to 7th January, the success of the marathon and the elaboration of the Southeast’s Largest “Rosca de Reyes” (Christmas Bread), that will take place Jan. 5.

Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

arrow2Follow TTW
 
facebook-logo  twitter-logo  LinkedIn_logo  stumbleupon-logo   rss_logo 
ttw_blogger_logo  ttw_blogger_logo  ttw_blogger_logo

ADVERTISEMENT

  • 03 imexamerica 2018
  • 06 THSA 2018
  • 07 miltcongress 2018
  • 08 theleisureshow 18
  • 09 cibtm 2018
  • 09 Seatrade Cruise Med 2018
  • 10 Digital Travel Summit EU 2018
  • 10 ITE-HCMC 2018
  • 12 Traveldaily 18
  • 13 aite 2018
  • 14 TravelDaily 18
  • 15 TravelDaily TDC 18
  • 16 OTDYKH 2018
  • 17 Hotel Show dubai 18
  • 18 hospitalityqatar 18
  • 18 thincindonesia 2018
  • 30 PATA

TRAVEL INDUSTRY EVENTS

Get our toolbar!
Review www.travelandtourworld.com on alexa.com