Published on : Tuesday, February 14, 2017
He said the MH370 tragedy did affect tourist arrival from China, but only for some time after the aircraft went missing, and the number soared again after that.
“As for the kidnapping case, it happened in Sabah state and does not affect tourism in the peninsula,” he told reporters after opening the FAM International Media Trip involving the participation of 19 media representatives from China. Also present was Negeri Sembilan state Tourism Board chairman Mohamad Razi Kail.
Malaysia welcomed 1.68 million tourists from China in 2015, which saw an increase of four per cent from that of 2014. Between January and October last year, tourist arrivals from China was 1.75 million.
Flight MH370, carrying 239 passengers and crew, went missing from the radar after leaving Kuala Lumpur enroute to Beijing on March 8, 2014.
The aircraft has yet to be found despite the massive search conducted beneath the southern Indian Ocean where its path was believed to have ended.