Published on : Friday, May 20, 2016
An extensive search mission is under way in the Mediterranean for debris from the EgyptAir jet which abruptly disappeared from radar while carrying 66 people from Paris to Cairo.
Investigators have dismissed the findings of the Greek military officials yesterday who claimed to have spotted debris believed to be from MS804 floating near the Greek Island of Karpathos. Ahmed Adel, EgyptAir’s Vice President, said the debris was “not from our aircraft”. Egypt was leading international efforts to find wreckage of the plane, backed by France, Greece and Turkey. The US navy dispatched a P-3 Orion maritime surveillance aircraft from a base in Sicily.
According to Sherif Fathi, Egypt’s aviation minister, said the chances the plane was brought down by a terror attack are “higher than the possibility of a technical failure.” In fact, Russian, American and Egyptian officials say they now believe a terrorist attack is the most likely cause of the disaster, though there have been no claims of responsibility.
Officials from multiple US agencies told Reuters that satellite imagery so far had not produced any signs of an explosion. They said the US had not ruled out any possible causes for the crash, including mechanical failure, terrorism or a deliberate act by the pilot or crew.
The distressed relatives have spent the night in Cairo and are expected to be meeting with investigators.