Published on : Friday, March 24, 2017
It broke the past pre-Katrina peak that had hovered around this region and its local tourism sector for over 10 years. Tourists have shelled out as much as $7.41 billion with an aim to explore the city last year.
Stephen Perry, CEO, New Orleans Convention and Visitors Bureau, Mayor Mitch Landrieu and CEO Mark Romig have all praised the record-breaking tourism arrival figures that had been released on 23rd March in a press release. The University of New Orleans Hospitality Research Center has completed an annual study on local tourism for the NOTMC and CVB.
During 2015, New Orleans fell a bit short of the 10.1 million tourist arrival mark that it had accomplished in the year 2004.
The local tourism experts are now ready to shift their vision much ahead, to 2018. The city tourism officials are optimistic that it would be capable of luring 13.7 million international visitors in the tricentennial year of New Orleans. The local leaders said that the growth of 2016 was the result of a coordinated effort to broaden the appeal of the city as a tourism destination.
This would involve the Greater New Orleans Hotel & Lodging Association, Louis Armstrong International Airport, New Orleans Tourism and Marketing and the Convention and Visitors Bureau.
In a recent press release, Perry said that these achievements are the outcome of a strategy that actually lures in some carefully targeted convention business as well as leisure tourists through different tactics that take advantage of paid media.
The top milestones of 2016 included the declaration of two new nonstop flights to Europe from New Orleans.
British Airways is scheduled to come up with two new non-stop flights from New Orleans to Europe from 27th March onwards.
Condor Airlines would be flying nonstop, seasonal flights to Germany and Frankfurt starting from the month of May.
The city had also hosted the U.S. Travel Association’s PW trade show in June 2016. It had drawn travel booking agents from various parts of the world.