Published on : Tuesday, November 8, 2016
The first flight took off for Las Palmas today (Sunday 6 November). The route will operate twice a week throughout winter with flights costing from £30.99 one-way* – perfect for escaping to warmer climes over the Christmas and New Year period.
Gran Canaria Travel Experts say there are 10 perfect reasons why you should pick Gran Canaria from London Southend Airport for a winter sun getaway.
1) It might have just been Halloween, but the thermometer won’t give you a fright on Gran Canaria. Thanks to a fortunate location and generous trade winds, you’ll experience temperatures with an annual average of 24 degrees.
2) Gran Canaria is a natural beauty. It’s an island which preserves its looks. Around half the island is protected from development, leading to the amazing volcanic interior.
3) Life’s a beach. Gran Canaria has 60 kilometres of golden sand beaches along its 236 kilometres of coastline, so there really is something for everyone.
4) Gran Canaria is an outdoor gym. Hikers will love following in the footsteps of walkers who have boldly gone before them, cyclists will be tested by the steep climbs but rewarded with jaw-to-the-floor views , and the Atlantic’s fantastic for those who want to surf mega waves, dive to discover amazing marine life or even fish for their supper.
5) Destinations don’t get much more family friendly than Gran Canaria. The island has plenty of attractions, from water parks to zoos, to keep even the littlest ones entertained
6) Gran Canaria gives a history lesson that’s fun for all. Its pre-Hispanic heart continues to beat six centuries after the Spanish Conquest. Explore its archaeological parks and museums which also highlight the island’s rich cultural blend.
7) Savour the flavour of Gran Canaria. From the almonds and their beautiful blossoms to the most northerly coffee plantations in the world, and not forgetting the purest vodka in the world and rum produced at one of Europe’s oldest distilleries.
8) Take time out from 9-5 and chill. Gran Canaria has a huge range of spa and wellness centres so put your body and mind in the hands of top professionals. In the land where aloe vera grows wild, health is key.
9) Go retro in metro Gran Canaria. St roll through the cobbled streets in the historic Las Palmas neighbourhoods of Triana and Vegueta. Or chill, without catching a cold, at one of the world’s greatest urban beaches, Las Canteras.
10) Putters paradise. With 7 magnificent courses, all developed by top designers, the island is a golfer’s paradise.
easyJet is expected to fly 12,000 passengers a year to and from Gran Canaria. Neil Slaven, UK Commercial Manager at easyJet, said “We’re delighted to be launching our first flight to Gran Canaria today. Adding Gran Canaria to easyJet’s range of destinations from Southend is a move which provides our passengers with an additional winter holiday destination from the airport. It highlights our commitment to providing affordable routes for both leisure and business passengers from the airport and we’re sure that it will prove extremely popular.”
Glyn Jones, CEO Stobart Aviation that operates London Southend Airport, said “Grand Canaria is a fantastic winter sun destination – and it’s now right on the doorstep for passengers from Essex and the South East. We are absolutely delighted that easyJet is now offering another route from London Southend. With excellent access, including our own station, trains to and from London in 53 minutes, unique customer service and now even more fantastic destinations – it’s no surprise that more and more people are choosing London Southend.”
Tags: London Southend Airport