- About Us
- Image Gallery
Published on : Thursday, June 2, 2016
Games chief executive Jennah Wootten said overseas registrations for the Auckland event were running behind where they were expected to be, and pricey accommodation was to blame.
On the contrary the tourisms sector says it has been trying to work with organisers to solve the accommodation problem for the April 21-30, 2017 event
Tourism Industry Aotearoa chief executive Chris Roberts throwing light on the recent controversy said that the remarks had damaged the goodwill between hoteliers and organisers.
Explaining the background to the controversy, he said the World Masters Games were a victim of the growth in New Zealand tourism.
April was the shoulder season when the games were originally scheduled. Since then, tourist numbers had exploded and April was no longer a quiet month. In April this year, the association’s hotel members reported 88 per cent occupancy in Auckland – “the highest ever”, he said.
The high prices for next year were “a simple supply [and] demand equation”.
The games will be held over nine days at various venues around Auckland and Waikato.
The games are expected to attract 25,000 competitors, half of them from overseas.