Published on : Monday, February 6, 2017
It has been one week since U.S. President Donald Trump issued an executive order temporarily barring refugees and people from seven Middle Eastern and North African countries from entering the United States. And in this one week over 100,000 visas have been revoked, a government attorney told the Washington Post on Friday.
However, moments later the U.S. State Department issued a statement contradicting the lawyer’s figure saying that fewer than 60,000 visas had been canceled under Trump’s order, according to an AP report.
The attorney revealed the data during a hearing in a lawsuit filed on behalf of two Yemeni brothers who arrived last Saturday at Dulles International Airport, near Washington D.C., but were sent back to Ethiopia due to the controversial order issued, according to the Washington Post report.
“The number 100,000 sucked the air out of my lungs,” said Simon Sandoval-Moshenberg of the Legal Aid Justice Center, who represents the brothers, identified as Tareq and Ammar Aqel Mohammed Aziz, in Alexandria federal court, Virginia.
Under the executive order Trump signed on Jan. 27, refugees from all over the world will be suspended U.S. entry for 120 days while all immigration from so-called “countries with terrorism concerns” will be suspended for 90 days. Countries included in the ban are Iraq, Syria, Iran, Sudan, Libya, Somalia and Yemen.