Published on : Tuesday, October 24, 2017
Destination Cape Breton CEO Mary Tulle explains that this year’s fall statistics are at an all-time high.
To quote Tulle, “over last year, we are up triple digits. One hundred per cent in our inquiries coming from the Ontario and Quebec regions in looking at Cape Breton for a fall visit.”
The Cape Breton radio station had actually ignited the “Trump Bump” and encouraged Americans to shift to the island during the time when President Donald Trump was winning the last year’s election. The website garnered international attention, with sky high tourism figures as a result.
At historic Cossit House in Sydney, N.S., 18th century interpreter Diane Melnick mentions that the numbers have almost tripled.
“(Tourists) are coming back. They’ll say, ‘We’re going to come back and maybe drive around the area to see the island.’ They are that impressed with Cape Breton,” says Melnick.
Last year and 2017 have been banner years, Tulle explains that now they are more concerned to find out ways to keep the same trend into 2018 and beyond.
“What we have the opportunity of doing is showcasing those experiences as it pertains to culture,” says Tulle. “Those experiences as it pertains to culinary, as it pertains to hiking, as it pertains to cycling.”
When it comes to the possibility of Cape Breton as a world-class tourist spot, Tulle feels there’s lot to be unraveled.
“Cape Breton, I think it’s her time. It’s her time as a tourism destination, where everything seems to be aligning,” says Tulle.
Tags: tourism of Cape Breton