- About Us
- Image Gallery
Published on : Tuesday, November 1, 2016
The latest earthquake that struck Italy on 28th October, 2016 is posing grave threats for one of the most renowned tourist attractions and historical landmarks in the country. Francesco Prosperetti, the special superintendent for the Colosseum and Roman Forum is anxious as he feels that the earthquake might cause damage to the largest ever amphitheatre of the world.
Prosperetti had mentioned these words following an inspection that was carried out at this popular tourist hub.
He then said that some of the materials of the Colosseum had rumbled down from the upper parts of the ancient 2000-year-old structure. However, he also added that this damage had been caused a long time prior to the occurrence of the recent earthquake.
But then, he also went on to add that the cracks on the structure have been increasing on account of the latest earthquake.
He stated that the most dangerous quakes were the ones that had originated from the Castelli region. After thorough checking processes, the Pantheon, the Baths of Caracalla, the Roman Forum and the Colosseum were all declared to be safe. Thereafter, they were all opened for the public visitors on 30th October.
During the classical era, the Romans were well aware about the threats of earthquakes and had made attempts to prevent or minimize the damage to buildings that might be caused by earthquakes.
Alessandro D’Alessio who is an archaeologist said that arches are actually the best structures that go a long way in absorbing the vibrations and movements.
He said that the ancient Roman citizens had good knowledge about earthquakes and their aftereffects.
In the past, several earthquakes have shaken the Colosseum. In fact, the Colosseum had sustained a great deal of damage in the earthquake that had hit the region in 1349. Due to this earthquake, certain portions of the amphitheatre on the southern side had fallen apart.
The recent earthquake has also caused damage to the other famous monuments in Rome.
Some cracks have also appeared on the church that is referred to as ‘St. Paul’s Outside the Walls’. Historic buildings at the Vatican were checked thoroughly and also declared safe for the tourists.
However, the experts do not feel that the earthquakes in Italy are becoming stronger with the passage of time.