- About Us
- Image Gallery
- Download Free
Published on : Tuesday, December 22, 2015
Acting Tourism Minister Ian Hunter confirmed the race routes today along with the appointment of Cycling South Australia’s Kimberley Conte as Race Director.
“Ms Conte has a huge amount of experience and has been involved in 35 UCI stage races in various roles across Australia, Canada and the United States,” Mr Hunter said.
Ms Conte said she was looking forward to the challenge and working with the women’s teams internationally and locally to deliver an outstanding start to the cycling season.
“The race routes for the Santos Women’s Tour will see teams ride four circuits across four days starting with Mt Torrens, the circuit of the People’s Choice Classic prior to the men, in the Barossa through Lyndoch and a final stage in Victoria Park,” she said.
In September, the State Government announced the Santos Women’s Tour had been granted international status by the world’s governing body.
“This year’s event was the first time we introduced the Santos Women’s Tour as part of the Subaru National Road Series race,” Mr Hunter said.
“The four day race had a record 95 entries and 17 teams involved with the final stage in Victoria Park attracting more than 4000 spectators.
“Now the Santos Women’s Tour is listed on the UCI Oceania calendar and will double as a National Road Series event, we can continue to build on its success.
“In the 2015/16 State Budget, the State Government invested $35 million over two years to promote South Australia nationally and internationally and attract more events and conferences.
“Of that $35 million, $6 million over four years will be invested to focus on the integration of women’s cycling, grow the TV broadcast and look at more international marketing.”
Tags: Santos Women’s Tour