SFO Announces Facility Closures for Terminal 1 Renovation
Published on : Tuesday, October 18, 2016
The San Francisco International Airport (SFO) announced a series of planned facility closures, including roadway and curbside areas, a connecting walkway, and an airline ticket counter, to facilitate the extensive renovation already under way in Terminal 1. The Airport also provided tips for travelers to make navigating through affected areas easier and more efficient. Closures begin on Friday, October 21st, and are anticipated to remain in effect for approximately two years while construction work progresses.
“The transformation of Terminal 1 is the largest project underway at SFO, and will create an amazing new travel experience for our guests,” said Airport Director Ivar C. Satero. “During this critical phase of construction activity, we urge travelers to plan accordingly to ensure a seamless and stress-free flight.”
On both the departure and arrival levels of Terminal 1, the roadway lane closest to the terminal, and curbside area, will close to accommodate construction activity. Details are as follows:
- Closure begins on Friday, October 21st at 1:00am
- Lane closest to Terminal 1 closed from Door 01 through Door 10
- Terminal 1 arrival-level curbside access for Southwest, Delta and Frontier begins at Door 11
- Closure begins on Friday, October 28th at 1:00am
- Lane closest to Terminal 1 closed from Door 01 through Door 05
- Terminal 1 departure-level curbside access for Southwest, Delta and Frontier begins at Door 06
- Avoid traffic around terminals by using the Kiss & Fly, located at the Rental Car center, for both drop-offs and pick-ups. From the Kiss & Fly, all terminals are just six-minutes away by the AirTrain light rail system.
- Drivers picking up arriving passengers can conveniently wait at SFO’s free Cell Phone Waiting Lot. The lot is available at no charge and located adjacent to the long-term parking facility, just five minutes from the terminals.
- For drivers heading to Terminal 2 or Terminal 3, stay in the left hand lanes to bypass traffic at Terminal 1. Enter right hand lanes only upon reaching the entry lanes for Terminal 2 or Terminal 3.
- Alaska, Jet Blue, Hawaiian and Sun Country operate in the International Terminal, and all passenger drop-off and pick-up for these airlines should occur at the International Terminal. Passengers traveling on these airlines are advised to park in the International garages.
The connecting walkway between International Boarding Area A and Terminal 1 will also be closed for construction activity on Monday, October 24th. Passengers will need to use AirTrain to transfer between International Boarding Area A and Terminal 1.
Tips for connecting between terminals
- The only way to get from the International Terminal to Terminal 1 is via AirTrain.
- The best way to get from the International Terminal to Terminal 2 is via AirTrain.
- Travelers connecting from the International Terminal to Terminal 3 can choose to walk or take AirTrain.
Southwest Airlines Ticket Counter Move
The ticket counters for Southwest Airlines will move from their current location to a location closer to Frontier and Delta Airlines. There are no changes to the ticker counter location for Frontier and Delta Airlines.
Tags: airlines news, San Francisco International Airport