- About Us
- Image Gallery
Published on : Thursday, August 11, 2016
Although the strike has been called off, the Southern Railway services would be continued to be disrupted even today. The railway employees had called the strike on Monday reacting against a row over conductors, and this strike was scheduled to continue for a week.
After Members of RMT (Rail, Maritime and Transport) union agreed to go back to negotiations without placing any conditions, Acas, the conciliation service said that the strike would not be continued till Thursday or Friday.
The railway services of Thursday would be dependent on the timetable prepared for the strike, as stated by Southern that belongs to the franchise of Govia Thameslink Railway. However, it has also said that new train services might be added to the present timetable.
A spokesperson for Acas mentioned that RMT and Southern have been returning to talks of negotiation and that strike has been suspended for Thursday and also Friday.
Mick Cash, general secretary, RMT said that the matter would be considered by the National Executive Committee that would see to it that progress is made.
He said that since the company had now agreed to meet union officials without any preconditions, he has been instructed by the NEC to inform RMT members that the strike has now been called off until further notice.
A spokesperson for Southern Railway has said that they are happy at the fact that RMT has agreed to talk with Acas and suspended its strike.
He also said that he was hopeful that the talks would be positive and solve this long-running dispute.
The strike that was called from Monday onwards sparked travel chaos for several rail passengers. The spokesperson further added that the services on Thursday would depend on the timetable that had been prepared for the strike. However, the authorities would revert back to the normal timetable on Friday.
The main dispute revolves around modifications to the role of the conductors.