- About Us
- Image Gallery
Published on : Saturday, May 14, 2016
Canberra is the perfect place to delight in a taste of Europe without leaving the country. Here’s a list of some of the ways you can enjoy dining, dance and theatre with a European flair here in Australia’s capital put in place by VisitCanberra.
1. Canberra boasts of some of the best European-influenced eateries. Italian and Sons in Braddon offers simple but well- executed dishes and a bacaro (wine bar) snack menu. At La Cantina in Narrabundah you will feel like you’re dining in a wine cellar. Silo Bakery + Cafe in Kingston is another must- visit.
2. Take in a captivating show during the Segue Festival at The Street Theatre. Over 10 days in May, there will be contemporary performance with a European dimension as well as forums delving deeper into the cultural interplay and collaborations between the continents of Australia and Europe. This bespoke project brings together a range of artists working between cultures and continents from 5-15 May.
3. Canberra’s Garema Place will be transformed into a winter wonderland for the Winter Festival in the City featuring an ice rink, toboggan rides, a giant inflatable ice slide and European- style market stalls from 23 June to 17 July. So strap on your skates and enjoy the atmosphere of this European-style festival in the heart of the city.
4. Catch the Light Translations exhibition at the Canberra Glassworks from 2 June to 17 July. This exhibition of new works by glass artists Holly Grace and Lisa Cahill explores place and identity, reflecting the natural and cultural environments of Denmark and Australia.
5. Check out one of the 250 events across the Canberra region highlighting the rare Black Winter Truffle. The climate around the Canberra region is ideal for Black Winter Truffles as it is similar to the climate in Europe, where the truffle originates. Dine on truffle-infused dishes at local restaurants, join a hunt and see how the talented dogs unearth truffles, or check out a cooking demonstration as part of The Truffle Festival – Canberra Region.
6. Spend your evenings at Palace Electric Cinema in the beautiful NewActon precinct taking in Palace Opera & Ballet: 2015-2016 Season. Direct from Europe, the series brings an exciting new season of opera and ballet to Canberra.