Published on : Monday, February 27, 2017
The data offered by a few software apps that track searches and also bookings on the Internet says that the number of tourists searching for deals to US destinations had declined in the week following the controversial executive order of Trump that was imposed on 29th January.
An app known as Hopper that utilizes data to analyze airfare stated that its research indicates that searches for flights to the US between 26th January and 1st February by internet users from 122 nations had decreased by 17% as compared to the initial three weeks in January.
After the travel ban was temporarily lifted on 3rd February, the demand for air bookings increased slightly.
But then, overall, there were 10% lesser searches for the flights to the US as of 10th February, as asserted by the Montreal-based company. The app of Hopper had also come up with a detailed study that portrayed the number of flight searches for the U.S. Hopper revealed that the flight searches to the US by the Internet users of Russia witnessed an average increase of nearly 88%.
A travel research company of Spain named ForwardKeys said that the overall airline bookings to the US had dropped by nearly 6.5% ever since the announcement of the travel ban.
That figure compares the statistics from 28th January to 4th February this year and also last year.
The travellers from regions including Asia, Africa, Europe and the Middle East are less likely to book air tickets to the US. Having said that, there has been a slight rise in tourism from South and Central America as per ForwardKeys.
Tourism to the US from the seven different nations that were enlisted in the travel ban were Somalia, Yemen, Libya, Iran, Iraq, Sudan and Syria. The tourism figures from these nations dropped by 80% following the announcement of the travel ban.
When the ban was lifted after a week, a large number of bookings were witnessed mainly from Iranian tourists to the U.S.
Another travel website said that the international flight searches to the US have declined by 38% on the weekend of 27th to 29th January as compared to the previous weekend.
Between 10th and 14th February, there were 16% lesser searches for flights to the US than the same as compared to the average for the entire period of January.
A Swedish travel search engine named Flygresor.se said that the searches to the US had dropped by 47% over the weekend that closely followed the travel ban announcement as compared with the same period the previous year. One of the experts have said that if the current trend continues, the US tourism industry might lose up to $3 billion.
One of the travel agents have complained that most of clients have lost interest to travel to the US on account of the policies of Trump and are seeking other interesting options within the vicinity of Canada.
Furthermore, the Trump administration has also decided to place a curb on the holders of the H-1B visa holders.
Actually, the United States offers about 65,000 H-1B visas every year and also an additional 20,000 more visas for the international students in the US. The new proposed order makes it mandatory for the American firms to give the first priority to American citizens. And, if they do recruit foreign workers, only the highest paid workers would be offered the opportunity to be recruited by the US firms.