Turkey or Brisket – How to Shake off the Holiday Food Coma with Energetic Local Activities from Viator.com
Published on : Friday, November 8, 2013
November 28, 2013 marks an historic occasion – the convergence of Hanukkah and Thanksgiving. This means twice the tradition, twice the celebration and twice the food! The team at Viator.com, the leading resource for researching and booking tours and activities worldwide, is welcoming “Thanksgivukkah” with suggestions for entertaining visiting family that also happen to get bodies moving after the bountiful feasts.
It’s as Easy as Riding a Bike!
Even as the weather gets a bit chillier in parts of the U.S., many cities across the country can still be explored via expertly led bicycle tours. The fresh air, exercise and local exploration are great accompaniments to a fun family holiday weekend in destinations like Los Angeles, Miami, New York, Portland and Washington DC to name a few.
- California boasts a number of amazing bike explorations including the San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge Bike Tour including coastal Sausalito; the La Jolla Coastal Bike Tour featuring a beautiful guided ride along San Diego’s picturesque shorelines; and The Ultimate Los Angeles Bike Tour venturing through LA’s most popular areas and off the beaten path locations.
- For a ride and a feast in New York, the Brooklyn Brunch and Bike Tour is a journey through areas of the borough that only locals know for brunch bites including pastries and breakfast tacos; or experience the area’s edgy art scene with some local nosh during the Brooklyn Urban Art Bike Tour.
- The Portland Brewery Bike Tour explores the city’s world-famous beer culture with visits to several microbreweries, and local neighborhoods and hotspots throughout this gorgeous city.
- Washington DC Monuments Bike Tour visits some of the country’s most iconic sights like the Washington Monument, and the Jefferson and Lincoln Memorials.
- Take an easy ride along the ‘American Riviera,’ with stops including the Versace Mansion, the Art Deco District and Lincoln Road during the Miami Beach Bike Tour with Optional Kayak Tour.
Many destinations are best explored by foot, taking to the streets and experiencing the sights, sounds and all the senses in a tangible way.
- In New York City, the Walking Tour of Ground Zero with Optional 9/11 Memorial Admission provides a deeper understanding of 9/11 led by a certified guide with a personal connection to the events of that fateful day.
- The Food and Cultural Walking Tour of Pike Place Market in Seattle takes visitors and locals behind the scenes of this celebrated culinary landmark to interact with the people that give the market life.
- Immerse the family in a sea of vibrant colors, buzzing atmosphere and rich culture during the San Francisco Chinatown Walking Tour featuring visits to an authentic Buddhist temple and an herbal pharmacy.
- The Downtown Nashville Walking Tour is steeped in history with tales of Fannie Battle, Andrew Jackson and Davy Crockett along with a ‘behind the scenes’ tour of the Ryman Auditorium, where Johnny Cash and Elvis Presley both performed.
- See the homes of former Mardi Gras kings and queens and marvel at one of the best-preserved collections of historic southern mansions during theGarden District Walking Tour in New Orleans.
- Explore the Windy City following the heated tunnels, walkways and passages that connect the city’s most famous as well as lesser known landmarks and buildings on the Chicago Pedway Walking Tour.
Stroll Through the Arts
Museums provide its visitors with a wonderful opportunity to explore at their leisure while taking in works of art and exhibits of great cultural importance and special interest. Viator provides access to museums around the world including this selection in the U.S.
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art, the American Museum of Natural History and the Ground Zero Museum Workshop Tour in New York City
- The National Museum of Crime and Punishment and the International Spy Museum in Washington DC
- San Francisco’s de Young Museum, Legion of Honor, California Academy of Sciences and the new Exploratorium
- J. Paul Getty Museum in Los Angeles
- The Country Music Hall of Fame® and Museum in Nashville