Published on : Wednesday, November 29, 2017
After three days of disruption due to the volcanic ash cloud flights have been resumed from the international airport in Bali.
It was observed that layers of ash had settled on houses and fields on the Indonesian island after an eruption of Mount Agung.
More than 100,000 people were asked to evacuate the vicinity and the thousands of tourists had been stranded.
An official mentioned that the airport might be closed if the wind changed direction.
The plumes of dark ash from Mount Agung reached as high as 3 km ( 2 miles) above its summit after it began eruption last week.
After fearing an imminent major eruption the officials raised alert to the highest level on Monday.
Officials said that the airport reopened from 15:00 local time but it was under constant observation on the ground.
Due to the huge backlog of flights the authorities had warned tourists of long waits before returning home.
Malcolm Turnbull, the Australian Prime Minister said that government was working to help the Australian holidaymakers stranded on Bali to return home.
25 % of the tourist on the island were Australians, the Denpasar airport being used by millions of visitors each year is the main point of entry into Bali.
Nearly 60,000 passengers were affected and more than 440 flights cancelled on Tuesday said Ari Ahsanurrohim.
Pilot visibility could be hampered due to volcanic ash , the airport on the neighboring Lombok island had reopened earlier.
The volcano is located at a distance of 70 km from the popular tourist area of Kuta and Seminyak.
Streams of rock mixed with water known as lahar was still emitting and the official asked to evacuate the zone.