Published on : Tuesday, October 17, 2017
Dozens have been injured and an unconfirmed number went missing during the country’s second tragedy within a span of four months an official mentioned.
The emergency services has been tackling more than 500 separate conflagrations. The blaze broke out in exceptional weather circumstances said the Civil Protection Agency spokeswoman Patricia Gasper. The fatalities in Portugal occurred in densely forested parts of central and northern part of the country.
The situation still remained critical due to high temperatures,however there might be some respite as cooler wetter weather is approaching providing respite to firefighters handling the blazes.
Gasper further mentioned that till now 51 people have been injured while 15 were in serious condition.
In June, Portugal was hard-hit by wildfires that killed 64 people, an independent investigation into those fires found last week revealed that the authorities failed to evacuate villages on time.
Around 29,000 hectares were destroyed by the fire, a prolonged drought and mid-October temperatures of more than 30C (86 F) fuelled the blaze.Across the border in Spain around 105 fires were reported in the northwester Galicia region. Authorities mentioned that here four people had died while two of them were trapped in a car and thousands have been evacuated.
Regional President, Albert Nunez Feijioo blamed the arsonists for destroying the weather conditions specifying that some of them purposely damaged the targeted urban areas. He said that 15 of the fires are posing a risk to towns and 90% of the forest fires each year in Galicia are intentional. Galicia is currently mourning for the loss of human lives as most of the fires were close to the inhabited area.