Published on : Tuesday, January 31, 2017
Ottawa transforms itself into a magical, winter wonderland with the highlight being the Rideau Canal Skateway.
Explore Winterlude; witness ice carvers from around the world transform blocks of ice into glistening works of art who also reveal a few secrets of sculpturing. Pose for a picture beside incredible, mammoth snow sculptures. Snowflake Kingdom is the largest snow playground in North America. Experience the snow maze, snow obstacle course, 30 giant snow slides and ice fishing. The Rideau Canal Skateway is the world’s largest skating rink where skates can be rented. Glide along in the sites and fun-filled activities along this 7.8 kilometer sheet of ice. At night, groove on to some great music at the Confederation Park. Most of the festivities take place downtown. Treat yourself to a uniquely Canadian treat — a Beaver Tail, which is a delicious, sweet pastry stretched to look like a beaver tail or the Poutine-French fries, smothered in gravy and cheese.
· Winterlude takes place along the world’s largest skating rink, the Rideau Canal Skateway, and sites across the capital.
· Close to 600,000 people take part in Winterlude activities – most of which are free – each year.
· Fantastic ice carvings by artists from around the world fill Confederation Park in downtown Ottawa.
· Renowned Canadian artists will energize Friday and Saturday evenings as Canada will celebrate the 150th anniversary of Confederation.
· The world’s biggest snow playground – the Snowflake Kingdom – welcomes kids of all ages to Jacques Cartier Park in downtown Gatineau.
· The Winterlude mascots – the Ice Hog family – are reputed to live under the ice of the frozen Rideau Canal Skateway.