Africa sees more money from domestic tourists

Published on : Saturday, October 26, 2019

It is a known fact that Africa’s tourism witnesses more money from local tourists. According to the World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC), domestic tourism contributes 56 percent of Africa’s revenue from tourism. The other 44 percent comes from foreign tourists.

 

Although African tourism adverts are targeted towards foreigners, several African countries are seeing a strong increase in domestic tourism, especially, Rwanda, Kenya, Mozambique, Tanzania, Ivory Coast and Rwanda.

 

E-commerce Company Jumia released a 2019 hospitality report on Africa with research conducted across 40 African countries.

 

Abdesslam Benzitouni, the head of communication & public relations at Jumia said, ‘‘Domestic tourism is already a reality. People are traveling more and more across their country and in the continent as well. For instance in Kenya, where I live, the domestic tourism has been a key growth driver in the industry in the recent years. I think last year, the domestic tourism increased by like 30 to 40 percent. This is very interesting to know.

 

You know, the volume spent by the local traveler in Africa is higher than the international tourist even if the local traveler spends per person is often lower. All the economy around tourism and travel represent 8.1 percent today of the African GDP, which is great.”

 

It is an interesting fact that in spite of the lack of initiatives towards boosting local media tourism, locals are contributing more.

 

With over 1.1 billion Africans expected to be middle class by 2050, African governments need to invest in infrastructure, reduce local flight tax and come up with initiatives for promoting new locations for local tourism.

 


(No Like Yet)

Related Posts

Tags: ,

Comments are closed.

arrow2Follow TTW
 
facebook-logo  twitter-logo  LinkedIn_logo  rss_logo 
ttw_blogger_logo  ttw_blogger_logo

ADVERTISEMENT

  • 01 WTM London 2020
  • 06 ITB Asia 2020
  • 12 ITE Hong Kong 2020
  • 13 IMEX 20
  • 16 FHC 2020
  • 16 G&A 2020
  • 16 ITB asia 2020
  • 16 TAAPE 2020
  • 17 AAA-banner 2020
  • 18 WCTIE 2020
  • 20 GWS-2020
  • 23 emitt 21
  • 30 PATA

TRAVEL INDUSTRY EVENTS

    1. Travel forward online

      July 14 @ 9:00 AM - July 28 @ 12:00 PM
    2. DRT SHOW SHANGHAI

      July 17 - July 19
    3. SHANGHAI WORLD TRAVEL FAIR (SWTF)

      July 30 - August 2
    4. IT&CM CHINA 2020

      August 3 - August 5
    5. Asia Amusement & Attractions Expo 2020

      August 4 - August 6
Get our toolbar!
Review www.travelandtourworld.com on alexa.com