Americans will have to register and pay to travel to EU from 2021

Published on : Saturday, March 9, 2019

Americans will need to register online and also pay a fee to travel to Europe from 2021. U.S. nationals will need to apply for a European Travel Information and Authorization System (ETIAS) permit with a passport and a credit or debit card. The permit has validity for three years and allows for an unlimited number of entries. Previously, Americans had been exempt from pre-registration requirements when traveling to EU nations.





ETIAS was first approved in 2016 by the European Commission and then by the European Parliament in 2018. The ETIAS system is similar to the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) system the United States uses for countries in the Visa Waiver Program, which covers all EU countries except for Cyprus, Poland, Croatia, Bulgaria and Romania.





ETIAS and ESTA don’t require consular interviews nor the same degree of background checks as regular visas. However, they require a payment and registration prior to travel. U.S. nationals will not need a prior permit to visit the United Kingdom.



The European Commission has previously decided against imposing visas on Americans as long as the United States did not impose a visa on European travelers. U.S. nationals are currently able to travel for up to 90 days within the Schengen Area, the 26 EU countries that allow border-free travel among themselves.




Related Posts

Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

arrow2Follow TTW
facebook-logo  twitter-logo  LinkedIn_logo  rss_logo 
ttw_blogger_logo  ttw_blogger_logo


  • 05 EMITT 2021
  • 13 IITM 2022
  • 15 SATTE 2022
  • 16 Conventa 2022
  • 16 SAHIC 2022



      January 16 - January 22
    2. FITUR

      January 19 - January 23
    3. MATKA 2021

      January 20 - January 23
    4. TTF Chennai

      January 21 - January 23

      January 28 - January 30