Published on : Saturday, January 19, 2019
A planned three billion rupee destination promotion campaign has got stuck with the government still to employ a permanent chairman and directors to the tourism promotions office of the state, sources said.
Many government programs come up against a brick wall in the midst of a political and economic crisis triggered by President Maithripala Sirisena in October.
Also, President Sirisena had issued a circular setting up a new process for directors of state agencies, which had made appointments bit sluggish.
An official source said the promotional campaign plan is now at the board level, and has to be sanctioned before it is presented to the cabinet of ministers.
The campaign, targeted to be the largest and most comprehensive one in Sri Lanka over a decade, will aim potential tourists from Europe, India, China and Australia.
The destination promotion is to be the main plank of the tourism marketing efforts of Sri Lanka in 2019.
Last year, the office conducted a 650,000 US dollar television promotion on international media, a 65 million rupee off-peak season campaign, and a 435 million rupee digital media campaign.
Nevertheless, only three billion rupees have been distributed for the main destination promotion campaign in three years, which analysts describe as insufficient.
Industry players stated that they are concerned and watching the ongoing delays.
Tags: Sri Lanka Tourism