Published on : Monday, October 4, 2021
In Langkawi, the pilot project of tourism bubble introduced on Sept 16th has been majorly successful.
Nasaruddin Abdul Muttalib, the chief executive officer of Langkawi Development Authority (LADA) explained that for the Langkawi tourism industry, tourist arrivals under the travel bubble until Sept 30 had generated RM15.97 million in revenue.
“Until Sept 30, Langkawi had received 38,748 tourists. Some 26,377 tourists arrived via the Langkawi International Airport while another 7,480 tourists disembarked at the Kuah Jetty.”
“Another major entry point, the Tanjung Lembung Wharf (Langkawi Port) received 4,891 tourists,” he said in a statement here today.
Nasaruddin also stated that if the tourist flow could be maintained in the same manner, it’s not unfeasible that the target of the government to reach 400,000 tourist arrivals by December could be achieved easily.
He mentioned that for the period of Sept 16 to 30, Langkawi had recorded tourist arrivals of 29 per cent higher than the initial target and LADA aimed that in October, roughly 60,000 tourists would visit the resort island.
In the meantime, to international tourists, Nasaruddin stated that LADA is hopeful that the Tourism, Arts and Culture (MOTAC) Ministry and the National Security Council would reopen the island by November or December, whichever is appropriate.
“At the moment, we are drawing up the standard operating procedures for foreign tourists with the cooperation of MOTAC and subject to the approval from the federal government,” he said.
Nasaruddin said that talks with local and international airlines like Qatar Airways, AirAsia Bhd, Scoot Tigerair Ltd had been in progress to plan scheduled and chartered flights arrangements from few countries.