Published on : Tuesday, July 10, 2018
Union Minister of Shipping, Road Transport and Highways, Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation, has formulated an action plan for realising the full potential of Cruise Tourism in the country.
In the first week of this month, the minister chaired an interactive session of various stakeholders of the travel and tourism trade in Mumbai. Officials of Mumbai Port Trust, Maharashtra Tourism Development Corporation and Tourism Department of Maharashtra held detailed deliberations with representatives from the tourism and travel industry.
The proposed Action Plan for boosting Cruise Tourism
• The Action Plan that has emerged from these deliberations focuses on developing identified sites as attractive tourist destinations.
• The Action Plan lays a lot of emphasis on publicising the tourist destinations within the country and abroad through regular interactive sessions with all stakeholders.
• In case of Mumbai, this would involve Mumbai Port Trust’s participation in Overseas Travel Mart to showcase its tourism projects.
• Bollywood will be allowed to shoot in the ICT/DCT/ Water Front of Mumbai Port.
• Travel agencies will publicise Mumbai-Goa cruise and the Floating Restaurant at Gateway of India and Girgaum Chowpatty will be developed as tourist attractions for people of Mumbai and outside.
• Mumbai will also be highlighted among foreigners as an attractive wedding destination.
• Tourist Information Stands will be set up to provide information to tourists about the various attractions and amenities at the destination.
• The Action Plan also involves cleanliness of tourist areas, roadways, sidewalks, venues and beaches.
• SOPs need to be developed allowing operational efficiency, revenue options and diminished bureaucracy. • Mumbai would be the hub of Cruise Tourism in the country and areas like Sassoon Dock and Sewree Fort in the city, and nearby areas like Kanhoji Angre Island, Mandwa, Alibaug and Vijaydurg, would be developed as attractive tourist destinations.
• Water sports activities are being planned around the Marine Drive area. Events like Ferrari Formula 1 and Grand Prix are also on the anvil.
• Mandwa will be developed as a Wellness Destinations with facilities for activities like Yoga and Meditation that will be developed in land belonging to Mumbai Port.
• The State Tourism Department will arrange reception activities like cultural shows for cruise arrivals.
• Restaurants and other tourist attractions will be developed in the Mumbai Port area.