Published on : Monday, December 4, 2017
In the wake of last month’s mass shooting, there has been a decline of about 4.2 percent in the visitors’ number in Las Vegas for the month of October. Trip cancellations and postponements were common trends following the ghastly mass shooting.
Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority showed that some 3.6 million people visited the city last month. Even a 36 percent surge in convention attendees, to 687,000 people, wasn’t enough to overcome the fallout from the massacre. There was 6.1 percent fall in the gambling revenue according to data released separately by the Nevada Gaming Control Board.
A gunman firing from MGM Resorts International’s Mandalay Bay resort killed 58 people and left about hundreds of people wounded on October 1st. The hotels in the city remained open for business however the casino operators stopped marketing for a week or more out of respect for those killed and injured.
MGM Chief Executive Officer James Murren said on a Nov. 8 conference call that cancellations subsided by mid-October, with the exception of Mandalay Bay, where the company took longer to resume marketing. “We’ve seen bookings improve, our business improve, here in November,” he said.