World Bank to fund pro-poor tourism development projects in India

Published on : Tuesday, September 3, 2019

 

 In the top tourist hotspots of Agra and Braj-Mathura regions in Uttar Pradesh World Bank will be funding ‘pro-poor toursim’ (PPT) development projects investing more than $57 million.

 

Around 70 % of the project cost will be incurred by the World Bank the remaining 30% will be borned by the UP government.

 

The loan  and the project agreement has already been signed by the World Bank and the union finance ministry.

 

Aimed at poverty alleviation in the periphery of selected tourism hubs through interventions pertaining to the economic, social and cultural aspects of the area the pro-poor tourism concept will be developed.

 

Up ranked second in the country after Tamil Nadu for attracting the highest number of domestic backpacker which stood at more than 233 million and aggregated 14.2 % share in 2017.

 

UP ranked third after Maharashtra and Tamil Nadu for the highest number of foreign tourists with more than 35 million and cornering 13.25 share in 2017.

 

By ramping up the basic infrastructure and value added service the PPT projects are aimed at creating job-oriented economic activities related to tourism.

 

The PPT concept is not unique in India but it has been successfully implemented in other countries to improve the socio-economic lot of the local communities which includes some African countries.


(No Like Yet)

Related Posts

Tags: ,

Comments are closed.

arrow2Follow TTW
 
facebook-logo  twitter-logo  LinkedIn_logo  rss_logo 
ttw_blogger_logo  ttw_blogger_logo

ADVERTISEMENT

  • 01 WTM 2020
  • 02 WTM London 2020
  • 06 ITB Asia 2020
  • 06 SATTE-GenX-Virtual-Expo
  • 13 traveldaily20
  • 16 FHC 2020
  • 16 G&A 2020
  • 16 ITB asia 2020
  • 16 TAAPE 2020
  • 17 GWS-2020
  • 23 emitt 21
  • 30 PATA

TRAVEL INDUSTRY EVENTS

    1. THE ANNUAL HOTEL CONFERENCE (AHC)

      September 21 - September 22
    2. IT&CM ASIA

      September 22 - September 24
    3. KITF

      September 24 - September 26
    4. routes asia

      October 8 - October 10
    5. FOIRE DE TOURS 2020

      October 10 - October 18
Get our toolbar!
Review www.travelandtourworld.com on alexa.com